Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Queen of Hearts .... Sweethearts

This weekend I had a chat with the reigning Ms Sweethearts, BroadwayGirl1, to find out what her experience has been like so far.  The interview took place on the Sweethearts Jazz Club, Ballroom floor.

There’s much more to beauty pageants than waving and smiling, or at least there should be. 

Pageant contestants are often derided for being “cookie cut outs.”  They often sport similar looks, recurring hairstyles and predictable dresses.  But the urge to conform is not unique to beauty pageants.  In any endeavour, especially judged competitions, it’s a common trap to fall into what you think is the pre-ordained mould of a winner.   The long and the short of it is just be yourself, whether you are preparing for a pageant or just generally in life.


Broadway hails from the U.S. and is a full time student in college, finishing a degree in music. She was taking a semester of an English class to fulfil her general Ed credits, and the professor who loved talking about electronics and technology gave the class an assignment which was to create a SL account and to explore one of the sims, and to observe the detail and to give a an overall impression of what they thought about it. She never left….

The Ballroom interview follows:

LM: What was your rationale for entering the Miss Sweethearts Pageant?

Broadway:  My reason for entering the Ms Sweethearts pageant was to prove to myself that I can do it. To have courage to do it. It was for the women who were bullied when they were little and were always put down. I did it for them, my family, my friends and for myself.

LM: What's the best part of being Ms Sweethearts?

Broadway:  I believe that there is more than just one best part of being Ms. Sweethearts. However, my favourite part of being Ms Sweethearts is representing a club that I call home, its owners and the people that have become my family. Also, I am looking forward to fundraising for the charities that Sweethearts has chosen to participate in.

LM: When you were going through the pageant process, was the competition tough?
Broadway: The pageant process itself was difficult because it challenged me to be the best that I could be. The competition between the other pageant contestants was very difficult because each girl had something special and unique that they brought to the pageant. Everyone was on their A game.

LM: What would be the message you'd like to send to the hopefuls of future pageants?

Broadway: The message that I would send to the hopefuls of the future pageant would be that even though the journey may seem long, the learning experience is priceless. Regardless of the outcome, you will gain confidence and poise that will impact your SL as well as your RL. With that being said, we are all worthwhile women and you are all winners.  

LM: What has been the most memorable day you've had so far, as Ms. Sweethearts?

Broadway: It would be hard to choose just one memorable day so far as Ms. Sweethearts, I feel that every day since I won Ms. Sweethearts has been memorable.

LM: Has your title in SL affected your RL in anyway?

Broadway: My title in SL has affected my RL in many ways. For example, one way was that this title made me more a confident person. I feel more confident in myself knowing that I can achieve anything as long as I work hard for it and set my mind to it.

LM: Do people treat you any different now that you are Ms. Sweethearts?

Broadway: No one has treated me differently and I hope that they never do because I am the same person that I was before I won the crown. I still believe in respecting people and treating them with kindness

LM: Now that you're Ms Sweethearts, how do you think you can help Sweethearts?

Broadways:  I think that I can help Sweethearts by always supporting and being available in participating in Charities and events. Making sure that Sweethearts reaches new all-time high goals.

LM: What is your goal as Ms Sweethearts?

Broadway: My goal as Ms. Sweethearts is to keep Sweethearts the best club in Second Life. Sweethearts has the reputation of making everyone feel comfortable and at home and I would like to continue that reputation and make Sweethearts a more memorable club.

LM: What was the live Crowning like?

Broadway:  The live crowning was very emotional and very memorable to me. The crowning and the pageant is a moment that I will never forget as long as I live. I believe that any of us could have won, so I was and still am, honoured to be chosen as Ms. Sweethearts.

The floor was opened to questions: 

Charmi Warbain asked : What are the key things to become Ms Sweethearts?

Broadway:  Thank you for asking that question Charmi the key things to become Ms Sweethearts is the be confident in yourself, always be respectful and most of all always be yourself, never change who you are.

NikkiEmma Eyre asked: when you win such an event - people look up to you as a role model - how do you feel about that?

Broadway: :) Sweethearts means a lot to me. I started coming here my second week of SL. I love being here and every time I come in here, I'm home and I'm happy. So as a role model I want people to see that and I reiterate, always be yourself, never change who you are.






Home is where the heart is …. Sweethearts Jazz Club your home away from home.